Monday, December 3, 2007

Elections- worst nightmare comes true

In junior high when I was beginning to understand the dynamics of politics I have come to fear that a moment like this may come. When Oprah will get into election debates.

In class before the ’00 elections our social studies teacher held class elections- there were two excersizes- first we had to vote who we think will win- the result was bush 100%.

The next exercise was to vote for who we would like to win- the answers were quite unorthodox ranging from Clinton to Elmo. But there was winner- Oprah.

We had a discussion in class about this – the class came to the conclusion that even though Oprah would have a good chance in winning; she doesn’t run because it is not her place to do so- her role is to critisize society not run it. People in the media should not enter politics.

Disscusions like these were the beginning of my journalistic identity. It is around this same time that I decided I might go into journalism. I may stretch so far as to say- that the idea that people in the media should not go into politics and politicians should not go into the media- was one of the basis on which I became a journalist.

I feel almost betrayed by Operah’s decision to endorse a specific candidate.

No comments: